With Mes CHamoru, or CHamoru Month, wrapping up today, it’s a good time to reflect on efforts to preserve and to promote the CHamoru culture.

First, we would like to thank everyone who participated in Mes CHamoru. There was a wide range of activities for all ages, from neni to nanan biha. The activities ranged from small gatherings at book readings to large-scale events such as the 2019 11th Annual Malesso Gupot Chamorro/Crab Festival.

Businesses, from hotels to shopping centers, and organizations featured cultural demonstrations, such as carving and weaving, as well as held performances. Many offices also shared local food and celebrated with fiestas.

Private and public schools also held booking readings, cultural demonstrations, and performances. These activities are important not only for passing down CHamoru customs and traditions but also for sparking interest among the younger generations.

It was heartwarming to see people of all backgrounds come together this month to celebrate the island’s unique culture. The hafa adai spirit shined through the cultural exchange and the intergenerational sharing.

Although the Mes CHamoru celebrations have ended, we hope to see efforts to preserve and to promote the CHamoru culture throughout the year.

We are heartened by the year-round efforts of organizations whose hard work is making a difference in our community.

One such organization is I Kumision I Fino’ CHamoru yan I Fina’na’guen I Historia yan I Lina’la’ I Taotao Tano. The commission provided a CHamoru language pictionary to each Guam Department of Education School, according to a GDOE news release issued Friday.

We look forward to seeing other organizations roll out projects to support the teaching of the CHamoru culture and language.

As a news organization, the Post understands its role in supporting such efforts to help the younger generations appreciate and learn about the indigenous culture and language of their island home.

We encourage community members — from individual readers to organized groups — to share their news with us so that we can spread the word about opportunities to learn more about the CHamoru culture and language.

We all have a stake in passing down Guam’s rich heritage, in protecting our natural resources, and in promoting the hafa adai spirit as our island becomes more diverse. As we strive to make things good, let’s look to the CHamoru value of inafa’maolek.

Recommended for you

Load comments