Some young men were working at my house last week when they started making connections.

“Are you the one in the paper?”

“Yes, I’m the one.”

“Wow. You’re like Guam’s ‘Dear Abby.’”

I smiled. I think I’m more like “Guam’s Erma Bombeck,” but I enjoyed the compliment.

Whether I’m “Dear Abby” or “Erma Bombeck” or “just that crazy lady who writes a column in the paper,” none of those labels is who I am. It’s what I do.

Similarly, I am a wife, a homemaker, a mother, a grandmother, an aunt, a disabilities advocate and a journalist. But again, these are not who I am — they are roles I fill and jobs I do.

What I do is not who I am.

If I lost all of these roles — God forbid — I would still have being. But who would I be?

That is a difficult question.

In fact, it’s so difficult many people avoid answering it. We have several generations of young adults who are thoroughly avoiding this question even though they are going crazy trying to find themselves.

They see themselves either part of a narrow specific group (pick one) or of a broad amorphous yet stereotypic group (“ALL teens”), without actually seeing themselves as individuals. It’s no wonder they don’t know who they are.

This matter of personal identity is critical to our society. And it has led independent filmmakers Alex and Stephen Kendrick to explore the topic in a new movie, “Overcomer,” which opened last Thursday on Guam.

The Kendrick brothers are known for tackling unusual topics in their films. Their past movies include “Courageous,” which focused on fatherhood, and “War Room,” a movie about prayer.

“Overcomer” blatantly poses the questions: “Who are you?” And dares to offer an answer.

“We believe the Creator gets to define his creation,” Alex Kendrick said in prerelease promotional videos. “As culture is debating what identity should come from, it’s not your status or circumstances, money … or feelings. … It is what God says you are. …. He gives [you] incredible worth.

“We want people to walk out of the theater knowing there is a God who created me, who loves me and has a purpose for me.”

God, in the person of Jesus Christ, has overcome the world. As a child of God, you, too can be an overcomer.

Want to see how that’s done?

Want to find out more?

See “Overcomer.”

Recommended for you

Load comments