Last week when the weather was depressing, my youngest was having a great time in the rain.

As BJ was going to the car after school, he picked up the umbrella.

“Look, Mom!” he said, “I’m Mary Poppins.”

“No, you’re not,” I said, “You’re Donald O’Connor in ‘Singing in the Rain.’”

He started dancing.

“I’M SINGING IN THE RAIN, JUST SINGING IN THE RAIN.”

“Stay out of that puddle!” I warned. “Kindly get in the car, Gene Kelly.”

He happily put down the umbrella and jumped in the car.

What a kid!

I marvel at BJ every day. He spent five years without a family. He didn’t have a mom to instruct him in politeness or thankfulness when he was a toddler. Yet he is the most polite and thankful boy I’ve ever seen.

He has more reasons than most children to feel forgotten, bitter, sad or angry. Yet he’s a happy, well-adjusted boy. He’s loud and innovative. And despite being “delayed,” he’s very smart — he’s always thinking.

And to think I’m blessed because he’s mine!

He could have — probably should have — been somebody else’s kid. But he was unwanted. Maybe it was because potential foster parents feared his diagnosis. To be sure, labels are scary. His label is so long, it strikes fear into the hearts of doctors and linguists alike.

For some, the label “foster kid” is scary.

Admittedly, having to care for another person’s child IS scary.

A foster child is an unknown quantity. You really don’t know what you’ll be getting yourself into when you say “yes.”

Foster kids come with more emotional baggage than children should carry. Some have been horribly neglected or abused. Some are just caught in a web of their parents’ sins.

However they land in the system, they don’t want to be there. They want to be home.

They should have homes.

Right now, there are nearly 300 children in the foster care system. Thirty-five of them are on a waiting list for homes. Yours could be one of them.

I know I talk about foster care frequently. But I’m going to keep harping on it until families on Guam respond. Get over your fears. Allow yourself to love.

If you are interested in foster care, please call Harvest House at 300-LIFE. They will help you understand the difficulties and delights of foster care.

A child needs you.

And vice versa.

Recommended for you

Load comments