Federal drug defendant Dexter Long was emotional in District Court of Guam Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood's courtroom on Wednesday after his fifth defense attorney withdrew from his case.

His trial was set to begin on Oct. 17, however, that could be delayed.

Attorney William Gavras, who was Long's fifth lawyer, asked the court to withdraw stating the defendant has continued to verbally abuse defense counsel since Long called him a racist during a hearing held in August.

"The accusation of being a racist was made in open court. I don't think I can adequately represent him," said Gavras during Wednesday's hearing. "The emotions that exist between us make it impossible for him to listen to me or take my advice."

Gatewood granted Gavras' request.

However, Long defended his statements in the courtroom.

"Let's clear it up. Never did I call him that," said Long. He said all five defense attorneys assigned to his case didn't help him.

U.S. Marshals stood closer to Long as he started speaking over the judge inside the courtroom.

"Listen to me...you need to know the truth. I admit I am a drug addict. No one helps me," he said. "The Assistant U.S. Attorney will not help me get back to my family. Help me! Help me!...I never called him a racist." Long was referring to Assistant U.S. Attorney Laura Sambataro.

"You are rambling on. You need another attorney. This will be the last time," said Gatewood.

"Is there a possible way you can release me. I am asking the court. My family is in distress," said Long.

"The case is going to trial and you have no lawyer. Your release has already been revoked. Speak to your next lawyer," Gatewood said.

Sambataro told the court multiple plea agreements were given to his defense attorney, however, Long disagreed with the terms.

"You need to take this seriously," said Gatewood, who expressed her understanding that he has no access to a drug rehabilitation program during his pretrial confinement. "I am worried about your mental health. The court is going to direct you not to insult Ms. Sambataro."

Attorney Mark Kondas was appointed to represent Long.

Family and friends including Long's wife and 3-year-old daughter attended the hearing.

"I love you," his daughter shouted.

"I love you too," Long said, as he was escorted out of the courtroom by U.S. Marshals.

Long was arrested in May after he allegedly attempted to smuggle 530.5 grams of methamphetamine on a flight to Guam from Honolulu. The day after his arrest in May, he was released but was detained again for allegedly attempting to receive a package containing 377.2 grams of meth.  


Recommended for you