Guamanians in Texas recently got a head start on the 75th Guam Liberation celebrations.
On July 6, hundreds filled Cullen Park in Houston for the year's most anticipated gathering of CHamoru and Guamanian families. Organizer Anitra Santos Rivera said the committee spent months planning the event – from a massive fiesta table with all the delicious savory and sweet dishes you'd find at a fiesta on Guam, to performances from CHamoru dance groups from Mississippi and elsewhere in Texas including Killeen and San Antonio.
"It was a great event that showcased our culture and celebrated Guam's liberation," said Santos Rivera. "We may be far from home, but we are proud to represent our beloved island in Texas."
- Pia Mia, other celebrities here for Liberation Day
- Cebu Pacific: Guam 'no longer viable'
- $500 restitution for family of victim in beating death
- GPD in aftermath of public urination video: Call ASAP
- Sources: Federal inmate assaulted on Guam before death
- Man on pretrial release charged in $20K burglary
- Contractors License Board office says Moylan bill unnecessary
- Court: $14M award invalid
- Teen graduates early from online school
- Pilots 'disregarded' alerts before Air Niugini crash
Weekly Online Poll
Poll results are published every Monday in The Guam Daily Post.