Former student IDs nuns who allegedly molested him

ABUSE: Santa Barbara Church in Dededo is pictured in this file photo. A former confirmation student at Santa Barbara Church filed a lawsuit, alleging he was sexually abused while attending Santa Barbara Catholic School in 1979. Post file photo

A former altar boy described eight years of sexual abuse at the hands of a former priest in a civil suit filed in the District Court of Guam yesterday. He alleges he made several attempts to report the abuse to church officials, but was told he would "get over it."

P.P., who used initials to protect his privacy, alleges the abuse began when he was 15 while serving as an altar boy and facilitator for the Catechism program at Santa Barbara Church in Dededo.

The civil complaint, filed by P.P.'s attorney, David Lujan, alleges the teen aspired to become a priest and confided in Raymond Cepeda in 1992 about some childhood experiences in hopes the priest would help him overcome it.

"Instead, Cepeda exploited the trust and confidence ... and took advantage of his vulnerability," court documents state.

How the abuse began

The alleged abuse began with sexual comments from Cepeda that turned into daily massaging, groping and fondling as the priest offered to "pleasure" the boy, the lawsuit states.

In 1993, during an overnight retreat at the Nuestra Señora de Las Aguas Catholic Church in Mongmong, Cepeda allegedly told the boy not to take his pain medication and said he would "take care of him," then sexually abused him.

The complaint states that another facilitator of the program witnessed Cepeda abusing P.P. at the retreat.

The sexual abuse also occurred during another overnight retreat at Notre Dame High School in Talofofo and "every opportunity" Cepeda was with P.P., including during car rides to various church events.

P.P. alleges he endured eight years of sexual abuse and eventually quit serving as an altar boy in 1998, but continued to facilitate the Catechism programs and youth ministry.

His last sexual encounter with Cepeda allegedly occurred in 1999, when P.P. was already an adult. Cepeda sought his help to move furniture inside his room at the Dededo parish. The lawsuit states Cepeda got naked and began massaging P.P., offering to make him "feel better."

The man became angry and told Cepeda that he had to stop.

'Get over it'

P.P. made several attempts to report Cepeda. Monsignor Zoilo Camacho advised him to meet with Archbishop Anthony Apuron, who reportedly told him during a meeting to "pray about these types of evil in the world" and that P.P. would "get over it, if he prayed about it."

The man said he also tried to meet with the spiritual director, Father Adrian Cristobal, but was shunned.

In 1999, feeling "let down," P.P. left the church.

In 2009 or 2010, Cepeda was defrocked as a priest.

The lawsuit alleges the Archdiocese of Agana knew that Cepeda had sexually abused and molested P.P. and other minor children for years, and kept the misconduct hidden and secret, failing to supervise the priest and take reasonable measures to prevent future sexual abuse.


Recommended for you