A man who stood accused of sexually assaulting two girls known to him was acquitted of all charges filed against him in the Superior Court of Guam.
It was an emotional first and last day of trial for defendant Gabriel Inas Castro in the courtroom of Presiding Judge Alberto Lamorena.
Castro wiped tears from his eyes as the government called several witnesses known to him up to the witness stand to testify.
He was arrested in June 2018 after being accused of inappropriately touching the girls, ages 9 and 14, over the last few years.
In court Tuesday, one of the victims took the stand.
"Did you tell the police that (the defendant) caused you pain before?" prosecuting attorney Sean Brown asked.
"No," the victim said.
The child denied the allegations against the defendant.
The prosecutor then called two of the police officers who were involved in the investigation.
Guam Police Department Officer Anthony Fejeran testified that he recalled the victim said the defendant had touched her "private parts" whenever they were alone and over a period of years.
GPD Officer Brian Benavente said he interviewed one of the victims.
"At first she was nervous, shy, kind of hesitant," Benavente said.
Benavente testified that the victim said the defendant "hurt" and "inappropriately touched" her.
Following Castro's arrest, the victims' mother told police she had confronted Castro and that he admitted to trying to touch the girls' breasts, court documents state. He then told her that he needed help and wanted to check in to the Guam Behavioral Health and Wellness Center.
He was charged with four counts of second-degree criminal sexual conduct as a first-degree felony.
In the end, Lamorena acquitted Castro of the charges.
No further comments were provided by either parties in the case.
According to Post files, Castro previously was convicted of third-degree criminal sexual conduct as a second-degree felony in an earlier Superior Court case.