Sources: Federal inmate assaulted on Guam before death

LOCKUP: The Hagåtña Detention Facility is shown in this file photo. A man who died in Las Vegas, Nevada, while in custody of the U.S. Marshals Service had been beaten at the Hagåtña Detention Facility three months earlier, according to sources close to the case. Post file photo

The family of Joseph San Nicolas Mansapit, who died in Las Vegas, Nevada, while in custody of the U.S. Marshals Service, are preparing to say their final goodbyes now that his body has been returned to Guam.

A federal investigation was launched after the Merizo resident died June 14 while serving a six-month sentence in a federal prison in the states after his supervised release was revoked for multiple probation violations.

Mansapit's death was mentioned during a sentencing hearing for a separate drug defendant in the District Court of Guam on Tuesday.

It also was stated in court that the beating happened in Las Vegas.

However, sources have told The Guam Daily Post that Mansapit was attacked by another inmate while being held at the Department of Corrections Hagåtña Detention Facility awaiting transfer.

The alleged assault happened in March. Sources said Mansapit was treated for his injuries after another inmate kicked him in the head.

The accused attacker was never arrested for the incident and no investigation was conducted at the prison, as Mansapit refused to press charges, sources said.

There is no word on whether federal investigators have linked the DOC attack on Mansapit to his death, which followed just three months later in Las Vegas.

Mansapit was transferred in May and died a month later.

The U.S. Probation Office and Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood have since confirmed that the incident surrounding Mansapit's death remains under investigation.

Attorney: Close the case

Mansapit's defense attorney, Curtis Vandeveld, requested in court filings that the District Court of Guam close the case against his client because of his death.

Vandeveld stated, "The sentence imposed on defendant cannot be completed and the further supervised release because of defendant's violent death."

In March 2014, Mansapit was indicted along with several others with conspiracy to distribute more than 50 grams of methamphetamine.

Mansapit was among those who pleaded guilty for his part in a scheme to smuggle meth to Guam from Las Vegas. He was sentenced to 30 months in prison in 2015.

Recommended for you