David James Cruz

David James Cruz

A 19-year-old woman who alleges she was repeatedly sexually assaulted for the last seven years rushed out of Superior Court Judge Vernon Perez's courtroom on Wednesday after the court released the defendant who is accused of attacking her.

David James Cruz, 38, who was charged with two counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct and two counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct, was released from the Department of Corrections to third-party custodians.

Adult Probation Services told the court the custodians had been approved. Probation also noted there were children who live near the home where the defendant would be staying.

"This is a significant responsibility," the judge said, addressing the defendant's custodians. "He needs to be inside the house. Under no circumstances do I want him hanging out in the front yard where there's a chance of any exposure to neighbors."

Cruz was ordered to have no contact with the victim.

The court also allowed him to attend church service while on pretrial release.

Perez told the custodians that they must stay close to the defendant at all times and should remain in control to ensure he does not commit any violations.

Assistant Attorney General Leonardo Rapadas said the victim and the prosecution oppose Cruz's release from prison. Rapadas expressed his concern with the court for the alleged victim, who remains in fear, and the public's safety.

Cruz is expected to go to trial in January 2020.

Sex assault

Cruz was arrested in June.

The victim, now 19, told police that she had been sodomized since she was 12. She alleged her perpetrator pinned her to the floor or on the bed and forced himself on her.

The first incident occurred at a hotel when the victim was sleeping and the sexual assaults continued through the years, the prosecution alleges in court documents.

The most recent alleged assault occurred on June 8, the victim told police.

Cruz was also accused of telling the victim not to tell anyone or “she would pay for it,” documents state.

He is scheduled to be back in court for further proceedings on Oct. 15.