USS Nimitz

The USS Nimitz is seen pulling into Apra Harbor on Wednesday. 

David Castro/The Guam Daily Post 

The USS Nimitz pulled into Apra Harbor on Wednesday morning for a scheduled port visit.  

The Navy has confirmed that aircraft personnel on liberty will be limited to a designated safe haven area within the confines of the pier and designated beach area on Naval Base Guam. The safe haven concept allows sailors to spend some leisure time on shore in a cordoned-off area.  

Sailors will be able to take part in recreation and morale activities on the beach and pier, but will not physically interact with any base personnel or anyone outside of the ship's crew. 

The crew aboard the warship just completed a three-day drill with the USS Theodore Roosevelt crew in the Philippine Sea.

The military states dual carrier operations unify the tactical power of two individual carrier strike groups, providing fleet commanders with an unmatched, unified credible combat force capable of operating indefinitely.

“This is a great opportunity for us to train together in a complex scenario,” said Rear Adm. Doug Verissimo, commander of Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 9. “By working together in this environment, we’re improving our tactical skills and readiness in the face of an increasingly pressurized region and COVID-19.”

Both ships are on scheduled deployments to the Indo-Pacific.

It remains unclear how long the aircraft carrier will be docked on the island.

A statement from Joint Region Marianas Public Affairs Officer LCDR Rick Moore stated, "The Navy remains focused on protecting our sailors and their families, preventing the spread of the virus to U.S. forces, allies or partners, and ensuring our warfighting readiness in order to accomplish assigned missions."

In April, the Navy took extra precautions before the thousands of sailors assigned to the USS Nimitz departed Bremerton, Washington. The entire crew had been tested for COVID-19 and reportedly spent 27 days in quarantine after a growing number of Theodore sailors contracted the virus.

The Theodore Roosevelt has not reported any new cases since it departed Guam last month. The ship was docked on Guam for about two months, as the crew cleaned the ship and sailors who tested positive for the virus recovered.

Among the more than 1,000 Theodore Roosevelt sailors who tested positive, one died in April while at Naval Hospital Guam.

On Saturday, the Theodore Roosevelt sailors paused to reflect on the life and loss of Chief Aviation Ordnanceman Charles R. Thacker Jr. during a memorial service aboard the aircraft carrier in the Philippine Sea.


Recommended for you