Less than two weeks remain in the regular season of the GYBA Drug-Free Summer Youth Basketball League and teams are beginning to angle for top playoff position.
Coming into their final game with only one loss on their plate, the Sharks Club stepped up their defense and ramped up the intensity in their 18U Boys Division matchup Wednesday evening at the Guam Sports Complex. They blitzed the Santa Teresita Church Grey in the opening minutes, jumping out to an 18-4 lead behind strong hustle play from their guards.
STC Grey fired a barrage of threes from all parts of the court, but couldn’t find a consistent range to get back in the game. The lopsided score allowed the Sharks bench to clear out early in the half to give the young roster some playing time.
Incoming Simon Sanchez sophomore John Macaldo led the Sharks with 11 points in the victory. Angel Pangelinan led STC with six in the loss. With the loss, STC Grey drops to 1-5, while the Sharks improve to 7-1 in summer hoops action.
• Yellow Jackets 53, Crusaders 24: The Yellow Jackets remained perfect at 6-0 as they crushed the Crusaders. Kevin Cabral finished with 14 points for the Yellow Jackets. Crusaders Ron Shimizu netted six points.
• STC White 42, Imperials White 39: Team STC kept their playoff hopes alive with a hard-fought 42-39 victory over Imperials White. STC opened up the first quarter with a 10-3 lead. Imperials made a strong comeback in the second half to get withing single digits. Amram Yobei missed two desperation 3-pointers with less than nine seconds remaining in the game. Isiah Pelkey and Justin Lizama calmly sank a free throw each to close out the game for STC and keep any hopes of a comeback at bay. Pelkey, a senior at Father Duenas Memorial School, led Team STC with a team-high 15 points, while Lizama contributed 10 points for Team STC. Amran Yobei, an incoming junior at John F. Kennedy High School, scored a game-high 17 points for the Imperials.
Under 15 girls
• Yellow Jackets Blue 32, Yellow Jackets Yellow 11: The two Dededo teams went head-to-head in their matchup Tuesday evening at the Astumbo gym. Erin Moldez poured in the offense, netting 16 points to close out the night. Jayda Tinoso had four for the Yellow team in the loss.
• Wolves Black 24, Mavericks White 21: Aiden Mantanona dropped 10 to power the Wolves in their matchup Tuesday evening. Antonio Rapadas led the Mavericks with nine.
• Yellow Jackets Blue 55, Imperials Gold 33: Elpizo Orichiro and Gerald Malana lit up the scoreboard for 11 points apiece to pave the way for the double-digit victory. Ethan Musngi led the Imperials team with 12 points.
• Imperials Gold 25, Crusaders Grey 18: Musngi dropped 13 in his Saturday game to lead Gold to a victory over the Grey Crusaders. Truman Howard had eight points for the Crusaders.
• YJ Blue 70, Mavericks White 11: Cody Bulurean dropped 17 points for in the lopsided win for the Yellow Jackets. Antonio Rapadas had eight points for the Mavericks.
• Warriors 31, Wolves Black 18: Izaiah Ravela had eight points for the Warriors. Ethan Crisostomo finished with 10 in the loss.
• Elite Gold 49, Wolves Blue 20: Bubba Henderson lit up the Elite scoreboard for 15 points, while KJ Martin had eight for the Wolves in the loss.
• Elite Black 34, Crusaders Maroon 29: Gavin Stinnett led the Elite team with 14, while Tyrone Buekis had 19 for the Crusaders in the loss.
The Malesso Rebels narrowly escaped with a 57-56 victory over the previously unbeaten Island Wolves Blue in their Saturday matchup.
Trailing by two, Jasiah Quintanilla had a chance to give Wolves the lead, but missed three free throws with 20 ticks remaining in the game.
The Rebels' Ben Topasna iced the game, hitting both of his free throws to pack it up for the Malesso team.
Tyler Cruz was near unstoppable for the Rebels with 31 points. Quintanilla matched the output, finishing with a game-high 33 points for the Wolves.
• Elite Gold 44, Team STC Black 17: Brothers' Dillon and Damion Dela Cruz combined for 23 points for Elite. Jacob Reyes pumped in 11 points for Team STC in a losing effort.
• Crusaders def. Elite Black via forfeit.
• Imperials Gold 40, Mavericks 43: Imperials Justine Pineda scored a game-high 14 points for the win. Notre Dame sophomore Tyler Concepcion finished with 11 points for the Mavericks
• Yellow Jackets 52, Team STC Pink 40: Yellow Jackets remain in a three-way tie for first after shutting down Team STC Pink. Elipzoa Orichiro and Ashley Manipon scored 12 and 10 points, respectively, for the Yellow Jackets. Justin Lizama and Tyler Merideth tag-teamed for 23 points for Team STC.
Action continues this Saturday in all age divisions. The U8, U10 and U12 will be vying for court supremacy at Astumbo gym, while the U14 boys’ division rocks Yigo andU16 and U18 hoops keep the complex moving all day.
Information was provided in a press release.